Love him or loathe him controversial director Oliver Stone’s movies are always worth a watch from Natural Born Killers and Platoon to JFK and 8MM. Lately the 65 year-old has been accused of losing his way in the movie industry and following the relative flop which was his last film, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, a much needed return to form was on the cards.
Which is what his latest offering Savages looks like, a return to the edgy, controversial, gritty, violent form Stone has been associated with for most of his career. Based on the best selling book by Don Winslow it stars Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Blake Lively, John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Salma Hayek and Benicia Del Toro and rattles along like so:
Two marijuana growers, a University graduate Ben and former U.S. Navy SEAL Chon each share the same hippie girlfriend O. But when she is kidnapped by the deadly Mexican Baja cartel they embark on a mission to rescue her.
Here’s four observations we’ve made about this trailer:
1. All Mexicans are either evil or violent drug dealers.
2. All white people are good even if they themselves are violent drug dealers.
2. Actor Demián Bichir, who plays a Mexican drug cartel boss was last seen playing a Mexican drug cartel boss in Weeds.
3. Blake Lively’s arse looks pretty good in a bath.
4. Oliver Stone has directly ripped off the game Army Of Two. Judge for yourself.